SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

converting marconi to gaff rig

6K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  sailingdog 
#1 · (Edited)
How difficult would it be to re-rig a boat like this:

to a rig like this:

And how would one go about it?

See less See more
#2 ·
First (broken) link is a Columbia 34.....

Sorry, but a better question is "why?"

A gaff rig on a 'plastic' boat like the Columbia 34 would be an anachronism, and simply wouldn't look 'right'. The rigging would be more complicated, and converting to a double headsail rig at the same time would be crazy expensive and could well end up with something that might well fail if the proper precautions are not taken..

Add to that issues of maintaining a decent center of effort, any kind of resale value, and it just doesn't make much sense as a project. If you like the gaff rigged look/character, buy the second boat or one like it.

#3 ·
The C34 was just the first Marconi Sloop that I found a picture of.

As for why, because boats like the first one are relatively common and inexpensive. I was more interested in the practical (how to balance a rig when adding a headsail/gaff rig). I am well aware of the reasons not to change a boats rig but was wondering how one would go about it if one wanted to.

#4 ·
I would calculate the centers of the existing rig and try to duplicate them in the new rig. I would try to alter the structure of the boat as little as possible, not moving the mast step for example. I would also be concerned about weight aloft. Many older designs had their rigs changed to Marconi, some classics have switched back. My own boat was designed as a gaff schooner, but built as a Marconi ketch.

#5 ·
A bowsprit and spin halyard should get the flying jib done, or did you want two hanked on headsails. The gaff will be tougher, since you'll need a track for the gaff to rise on, as you can't get a loop up the mast and past the spreaders.

That's my answer. Now frankly, this would all be very silly. I'm afraid you would be undoing 'common and inexpensive' and creating a spectacle.

#6 ·
One real problem is that most gaff rigged boats have a much longer boom and shorter mast than a bermudan/marconi rigged sloop, and a much lower aspect ratio to the sail plan. However, that will tend to move the center of effort aft, and really screw up the boat's balance.

Just curious, why would you want to do something this stupid? Aside from the balance problems it would introduce, you'd have to add at least one halyard for the gaff to work properly. This would also kill the boat's re-sale value.

#8 ·
Yup, sure would, but that's going to increase the cost of hauling the boat, storing the boat, etc., as well as require some fairly heavy modifications to the boat to make it strong enough to handle the upward loads imposed by the bowsprit.

Most marinas I know charge dock space and winter storage space by the LOA including any protruding sprits or swim platforms.

#9 ·
Thanks for the information.

I am more trying to figure out how different rigs are designed and built rather than trying to figure out if re-rigging a boat is a good idea.

As I said in the original post, I am well aware of the reasons not to re-rig a boat.

I don't currently own a boat but have looked at several in the course of our search that are under canvased and have been looking at ways to increase sail area. Re-rigging to a yawl being the most common but that introduces many of the same balance problems. One reason for changing rig would be if one wanted a FRP hull but really liked the "salty' look of gaff rigged craft.

why would you want to do something this stupid?
I'm not sure that it is possible to tell whether a certain rig is "stupid" every rig has advantages and disadvantages. Many mono sailors might well question the intelligence of a multi sailor and vise versa. Why where two wooden brigantines built in Los Angeles in 2003 when they could have easily been built in FRP or steel and been sloop rigged? When it comes to sailing everyone has their own opinion about what makes a good boat and (save instances of unseaworthiness) one really can't judge another's likes or dislikes.

#10 ·
Yes, but those brigantines were designed as such, not converted from something else. There is nothing wrong with a traditional design in hull or rig, but to try and convert a modern design to gaff would be stupid - and a step backwards in performance as well as affecting resale.

If you want to find out how rigs are designed and built get a copy of Skenes.
Elements of Yacht Design - Google Books

#11 · (Edited)
Thanks for the helpful information.

I appreciate the discouragement from doing something considered unwise.

IF I wanted to do this (and I'm not sure I would) it would be for reasons like this:

I can get a "modern" sloop rigged boat for almost nothing or free and IF I wanted a gaff rig all I would have to pay for was the rig (and structural modifications necessary).
Most original gaff riggers are much more expensive and have wood hulls (I'm not adverse to wood but would prefer FG.
If I want to commission a boat to be designed and built I would have to pay for the entire boat to be custom built.
Also I happen to like a lot of the more modern features (espesialy safety wise) but also like the look of the older style rigs. Performance isn't everything.

Let me try one more time (no offense intended but this thread is getting a bit off topic):

I'm am asking how one would if one wanted to not if one should.

Consider it a hypothetical question asked by a novice with delusions of grandeur. I'm relatively new to sailing and really appreciate all the help.

#12 ·
It is not that easy if you want good results. It could involve moving the mast. It may be better to change the mast from deck stepped to keel stepped. It requires skills that are not as simple as reading a book.

If one doesn't have the design skills to design a rig for an existing boat they should go to a naval architect for the design. He has spent many years learning the skills needed.

And the first thing he might say is:

Why do you want to do something this stupid?

#13 ·
It is not that easy if you want good results. It could involve moving the mast. It may be better to change the mast from deck stepped to keel stepped. It requires skills that are not as simple as reading a book.

If one doesn't have the design skills to design a rig for an existing boat they should go to a naval architect for the design. He has spent many years learning the skills needed.

And the first thing he might say is:

Why do you want to do something this stupid?
LOL... very true.

I'd point out that moving the mast would generally require moving the chainplates for the shrouds at least, and that requires a lot of structural changes to support them properly in most cases.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.