SailNet Community - View Single Post - Taipan 28 - How well offshore?
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2010

sailorjohn34 is on a distinguished road
I've been reading all this... I just lost a catalina 27 in a storm last week. I just got my taipan 28. everyone used to tell me how the catalina wasn't a sea boat.. now people say the tai pan isnt a sea boat...
if you keep the waves off the beam as in not coming from the beams, and you keep your sail area realistic for the weather you're in... anything can sail the ocean.
my catalina was lost due to a poorly marked channel entry in southern california, I started into the channel then discovered that charts failed to mark the shoal, I attempted to make my way back out toward the ocean and was rolled by a 15 foot wave that broke on my beam. as to the tai pan being a sea boat... forget the numbers that some geek at a computer came up with, get out and feel the boat, get to know the boat and if you're worth your salt, you'll learn to judge just what she can take. I've sailed 60mph winds in 16 foot twin keel boats, granted it's wet and cold.. it can be done.
have faith in your boat. now to all who will post reply to this saying I don't know what I'm talking about.. don't bother being hateful or critical.. I'm experienced in all weather conditions on many boats.. I love small boats and big winds. I'm a firm believer that if you know your boat and your abilities then you can sail a pram dink into a hurricane.. as long as you can get the water out as fast as it can get on board, you'll keep floating.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook