SailNet Community - View Single Post - Best Small Boat For Cruising the ICW ?
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2010

ATWJMU88 is on a distinguished road
Best Small Boat For Cruising the ICW ?

Hello all, and thank you for taking the time to read my (first) thread. I have been surfing this site for a few months now, reading up on different things, and have finally joined.

Now to my question- My buddy and I are graduating college in the spring, and we both have been wanting to do a trip down the ICW to Florida from the Chesapeake Bay area, (Norfolk). We dont have a real time table, just until all our money runs out, and we want to purchase a small(er) sailboat to do the trip. We were thinking anywhere from 24-30 feet would be of good size. I would love to hear your opinions on which types of boats would be ideal for this trip, as I know the majority of the trip will sadly have to be under power. Questions I have are, Which types of boats would be the best cruise/sail type for this trip? outboard or inboard? wheel or tiller? etc. Probably looking at a price range of 5-8 k, if that is doable. I have seen Catalina 27s online that are well within that price range, but i dont know if that would be my best, or even a smart option. We have some experience, and will surely gain more, and also take our time and do small, safe legs of the trip in the beginning. Any info from you guys would be greatly appreciated, and im sure I will have many more questions in the future.

Thanks a lot, ATWJMU88.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook