SailNet Community - View Single Post - Hello, I'm new to this forum and need advice
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2010

jmw is on a distinguished road
Well, it's been a while since I wrote in. I had the same issue as you did and as much as I liked my 19 ft. Montego, she was too limiting and not so comfortable when there was any chop. In the interim, I bought a 30 ft. custom built boat (Bluewater Marine) vintage 1967 (supposedly a Bill Tripp design) but upgraded and loved by the former owner. I spent the end of the 2009 and all of the 2010 sailing season getting to know her and her systems. She's a good Bay boat/coastal cruiser with the systems that make it possible to do overnight sailing. She's not fast but is a relatively easy boat to sail and single-hand. I've single-handed her in light airs, but this season I've had no problem finding crew which is fine, too. Except for 4 shrouds of standing rigging which I had local riggers replace, she was in fine condition. I currently keep her in the Middle River area. I'm learning as I go, especially the systems. It helps to find new friends who know more than I do and have them sail with me and be able to ask them for advice and help. I am still thinking liveaboard but not necessarily with this boat. My idea about living aboard is not to circumnavigate or anything like that but would be to cruise the Chesapeake Bay for a while and then gradually make my way down into the Caribbean. I am reading other folks adventures and am planning some longer trips next sailing season. For example, I'd like to sail down to Solomons and to Tangier Island. I am still doing passages on other boats to get other boat experience : besides doing 4-day and 2-day Bay trips on other boats, I've also been able to do a "training passage" up the coast of Central America (Panama to Isla Mujeres) to get more overnight experience in more open water. I'm doing a winter cruise this December in the Grenadines on a 40 ft. catamaran with some members of Downtown Sailing Center, and so on. I'm just starting to think about what boat would want to sail in blue water. Needless to say, I'm always happy to crew for someone else who might need crew: it gives me much-needed experience. I'm partial to monohulls: Calibers, some Beneteaus, and the Fast Passage 39 comes to mind because of the thin water in parts of the Bay and the Caribbean.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook