SailNet Community - View Single Post - Reading Light Rehab
View Single Post
post #3 of Old 11-29-2010
wsmurdoch

Location: The house is in Kingsport, TN. Boats are on Watauga Lake and in New Bern, NC

When we bought the boat in 2004 the reading lights and dome lights were in cosmetically bad shape. I took all of them off the boat, brought them home, and went to work. I took them apart, soaked the brass parts in paint remover, and rubbed off the softened lacquer with lots of old cloths. A few hours at the buffing wheel made everything shiny again. (There is not a brass coating; the lamps are brass.) I sprayed the beautiful parts (including the screw heads) with either clear enamel from the hardware store or one part automotive topcoat from Advance. I really did not like either and might try two part topcoat next time. I sprayed the insides of the reading lamps and the dome lamps with white enamel. There was nothing wrong with the electrical parts, so I just put everything back together and reinstalled the lamps on the boat.

Five years later one or two could stand being done again, but the rest are fine.

This year I decided to change to LEDs. I first put two bayonet base Dr LED bulbs in the vee berth reading lamps, then later for everything else I bought the circuit-board-like bulbs from SuperBrightLEDs and G4 bases to replace the bayonet bases. When I looked at the amount of work needed to take all the fixtures apart and install the G4 bases, I got lazy and bought the adaptors instead. I wish I had put in the G4 bases when I had the lamps apart five years ago.

Bill Murdoch
1988 PSC 34
Irish Eyes
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome