SailNet Community - View Single Post - Reading Light Rehab
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2010

Location: The house is in Kingsport, TN. Boats are on Watauga Lake and in New Bern, NC
wsmurdoch is on a distinguished road
When we bought the boat in 2004 the reading lights and dome lights were in cosmetically bad shape. I took all of them off the boat, brought them home, and went to work. I took them apart, soaked the brass parts in paint remover, and rubbed off the softened lacquer with lots of old cloths. A few hours at the buffing wheel made everything shiny again. (There is not a brass coating; the lamps are brass.) I sprayed the beautiful parts (including the screw heads) with either clear enamel from the hardware store or one part automotive topcoat from Advance. I really did not like either and might try two part topcoat next time. I sprayed the insides of the reading lamps and the dome lamps with white enamel. There was nothing wrong with the electrical parts, so I just put everything back together and reinstalled the lamps on the boat.

Five years later one or two could stand being done again, but the rest are fine.

This year I decided to change to LEDs. I first put two bayonet base Dr LED bulbs in the vee berth reading lamps, then later for everything else I bought the circuit-board-like bulbs from SuperBrightLEDs and G4 bases to replace the bayonet bases. When I looked at the amount of work needed to take all the fixtures apart and install the G4 bases, I got lazy and bought the adaptors instead. I wish I had put in the G4 bases when I had the lamps apart five years ago.

Bill Murdoch
1988 PSC 34
Irish Eyes
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook