SailNet Community - View Single Post - Head/Water waste and holding tanks
View Single Post
Old 07-12-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfesq
Sailing Dog is absolutely right, the seacock must be wired in the closed position.
I can't resist this obvious question. What makes you think that dumping your raw sewage in the water within site of land is a good idea? Would you mind if I came over this afternoon and took a dump on your front lawn? I apologize for the lecture but because we utilize the oceans, rivers and tributaries for recreation we have an obligation to do our part to protect the waters. We are stewards in effect.
Crude imagery...but very effective. LOL.

Yes, the discharge laws are there for a reason. How would you like to be swimming at a beach and have a boat dump its holding tank where you were swimming. It is only legal to discharge a holding tank three miles from land or further, provided you are not in a no-discharge-zone.

Granted, the waste from a single holding tank is not all that much, but only if diluted by the open ocean. Bays, estuaries, and harbors often don't have a good flow of water through them, and the waste tends to concentrate in such locations. Not exactly what you really want.

The New England rains have done quite a number on many of the waterways here. The growth of algae and barnacles at my marina is astounding, mainly due to the much richer nutrient flow provided by the massive rains we've experienced.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook