SailNet Community - View Single Post - What is the deepest depth you have anchored in and why?
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by souljour2000 View Post
Curious why " there was no choice"...maybe you were adrift against a leeward reef? Maybe you were so tired you anchored and went below? All of the above? Details are half the fun here...could you be more specific Craig?
There are a couple of anchorages in the Pacific where the only place to anchor is in 100' plus depth. I'm guessing that is what Craig is talking about. Bora Bora maybe ?

Deepest I have ever anchored in is over 20metres (approx 65') in Cowan Creek NSW off Broken Bay. Reason to do so was overcrowding closer to shore and the need to get ashore. I was unbelievably thrilled when the windlass gave up the ghost as I started to haul back 35m chain, rope and anchor. Joy unbounded.

If 20 metres and the word Creek make you pause...Coal and Candle, Smiths and Cowan creeks are all mainly tidal offshoots of Broken Bay. Why Creeks ? I have no idea. During WWII, the US Navy kept a squadron of warships (cruiser I think was the biggest) anchored in this area.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook