SailNet Community - View Single Post - Moody 376 and 425
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2010

seaparrot is on a distinguished road
Moody 376 and 425

I am wondering if I can solicit opinions about the Moody 376 and 425. We are hoping to buy our first boat sometime in 2011, so we're slowly working toward developing a short list of boats choices.

Speaking very generally, our plan is begin sailing on the Chesapeake, slowly working up to more ambitious goals as our skills improve. We hope to do some coastal and off-shore cruising, largely along the East Coast of North America. Due to our jobs, I think that sailing to the Bahamas or Bermuda would be the most ambitious, realistic goals. We just won't have enough time off to get much further.

We are a young couple,so we will want the boat to be a good platform for family adventures. In addition, we are strongly considering living aboard and have been slowly selling off our possessions to facilitate that goal. Thus, we need the boat to small enough that we can single-hand it, but just large enough that couple, a child, and dog can live on board for extended periods with a reasonable hope of sanity. At the moment, I consider our ideal size range is 37' to 42' feet. Preferably, I would like find a boat with two enclosed cabins, rather than a single cabin and an open quarter berth.

Our boat list is still being refined, but we keep coming back to the Moodys, partly because both the 37' and 42' Moodys seem to have suitable interior accomodations, and people seem to have nice things to say about the quality of the older Moodys. (Financially, we could afford to look at Moodys built between the mid-1980s and very early 1990s.) We had a chance to see a 42' Moody recently, and I came away impressed with its characteristics, especially the interior layout. As I expected, it seemed spacious, and had two nice cabins, a decent galley, plenty of handholds, and a useful pass-through area between the main cabin and the aft cabin.

That said, most of the information we have about the Moodys are pretty general. Are we right to have Moody on the short list? Is there a compelling reason for us to take them off the list?

We are also really curious about opinions about the advanges (or disadvantages) of the 37' over the 42' Moodys. We really liked the features of the 42' we saw, but we wonder if the price, maintenance costs, and size of the 37' would make it a better fit for us.

Last edited by seaparrot; 12-01-2010 at 12:09 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook