SailNet Community - View Single Post - Moody 376 and 425
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2010
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
You know, I think Moody makes a great boat. I'm not sure she is the fastest boat in the world, but a solid boat. We have one about two slips down from us (425 I think). But the one down from us does not have a sugar scoop. I wonder if that was an option? For me personally, I would hesitate buying a boat without a decent swim platform/sugar scoop transom for cruising and LA.

The other thing I noticed about teh boat down from us that is a huge turn off is that it does not have a rub rail. That may be unique to the boat down from us... I don't know? What have others seen? I looked online at the 425 and it too looked like it did not have a rub rail, but that is only from pics.

I would not limit my boats to only the Moody. For the use you described, you could get a much newer production boat that would be as comfortable and possibly more comfortable.

As far as size, we lvied aboard the first time on a Catalina 380 with one child and two dogs. THe second time (as in right now) on a Catalina 400 with two kids and a fat bulldog. SO I think your sizing is about correct.

Boats I would consider outside of the Moody, in order of preference, for 40ish feet from $150-190k for a family cruising bermuda, bahamas, keys, and east coast:

Catalina 400 (my preference, obviously... I can expand why this boat over others if you would like?)
Sabre 425 (beautiful boat)
Tayana 42 (my dad owns this and I am very familiar with this boat... solid as a tank but slow....)
Passport 40 (tied with Tayana)
Catalina 42
Beneteau 423 (if you can get over that rediculous list and stern 'rub rail'... not my first choice obviously)

Seaparrot - the things I look for in a boat (as we have a family and are cruisers/LA's) is different than what other people look for... but that is my list. Again, I can explain why if you want.

Brian

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook