SailNet Community - View Single Post - how much clothing
View Single Post
post #17 of Old 12-02-2010
SVAuspicious
Mermaid Hunter

I've always preferred natural fabrics so most of my clothing is cotton or wool. Long underwear and socks as well as other technical clothing is generally synthetic. Day-to-day living on the dock is pretty much the same as ashore.

Dinghy runs usually mean some spray so I am more careful about fabric choices in the dinghy. Still, I haven't had any issues with cotton t-shirts -- if it's going to be that wet I wear my foul weather jacket at least anyway. I don't like having a wet butt regardless of the material type so I slow down rather than get wet.

Shoes are the biggest clothing-related storage issue for me, and dress shoes have ended up in the truck. I have a pair of Sperry Topsiders "dress" boat shoes that I can wear even with a suit, but real dress shoes are sometimes necessary for me.

Oh - I use a regular clothes iron plugged into shorepower or I run the generator.

I keep half my suits aboard and the other half in a utility trailer I use for storage. When a suit goes to the dry cleaners I rotate another one from trailer to boat and the clean suit goes in the trailer.

I wouldn't buy all new clothes (unless your looking for an excuse) until you get some experience living aboard and determine what works for you.

sail fast and eat well, dave
S/V Auspicious
AuspiciousWorks.com
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome