SailNet Community - View Single Post - What we (CD & Family) Look for in a boat
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2010
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
Need more draft for pointing ability, like about 7-8' on a boat the size you are looking at. I would like 6' on my 30'r vs the 5.5 I have!

Anyway, as far as how you use the boat, great article, but as I am mentioning, some of us want something slightly different.

marty
Hey Marty -

In my opinoin, 7-8 foot draft would almost be dangerous. You probably could not travel the ICW down here, You would run aground at MANY of the inlets or close to even at high tide (Like fort Myers Beach, Sanibel, 7 mile Bridge), and many otherwise shorter trips would end up putting you a lot further out. For example, if you were anywhere near 8 feet you probably would not make it from the north side of the 7 mile bridge north of Marathon and would be forced instead to circle Key West and head in from the East. But at 8 feet, I am not sure you could make the channel into Marathon or Boot Key.

Honestly, 6 feet is too much... down here. Now if you never plan to sail down south, then that kind of draft might be ok. Believe me, 7 feet would be a nightmare down here.

But you are right, that kind of draft would allow you to point better and probably give you a more sure footed boat.

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook