SailNet Community - View Single Post - Should I buy a Coronado 32
View Single Post
Old 07-12-2006

ShirKhan is on a distinguished road
I keep running into people who are really anti Columbias and Coronados, and why there's this persistent thing that they're all lousy boats comes from, is beyond me. I've never sailed the 32 but the Coronados I have sailed on all seem to be solid boats with VERY satisfied owners, there's almost a Coronado "cult" they love the boats so much...a retired friend of mine justreturned from Bermuda on the 25', not too many 25 foot boats that can make that trip (although that is stretching the capabilities a little)...his home is in the Chesapeake and he and his wife sail south to the Virgins in his Coronado 25 every year. I've sailed the 25 and the 27, both are boats I'd feel secure taking my family to unknown destinations with. The only drawback I know of is that they're old and out of style. They're right about the resale value, though...you can always pick up a Coronado for pretty cheap if you look. I would also agree with only buying one that's been really well maintained and upgraded...because of the age more than anything else. IMHO it's a boat you buy when you're looking for bang for the buck but don't give a freak if the Beneteau crowd is impressed.

Another good bang for the buck boat are the Morgan Outisland models, share a lot of the characteristics with the roominess and high freeboard thing...AND there are also a lot of "Morgan haters" who unjustifiably say they're built like crap, strange coincidence. If you're sailing a $30,000 boat and you see someone having just as much fun on a $10,000 boat with the same accomodations, there are some predictable reactions...LOL Same thing with Pearsons, another affordable, solid boat...folks into racing craft regularly refer to them as "pigs" too, and they're a hell of a boat.

Again, I don't know anything about the 32 specifically but I would talk to some people who actually own and sail Coronados before I made a decision. I looked at SailNet BoatCheck and Lat38, but they didn't have a lot of info on the 32 either; lots of reviews for other Coronados, you might want to check them out.

Last edited by ShirKhan; 07-12-2006 at 04:14 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook