SailNet Community - View Single Post - how much clothing
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2010
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendipitous View Post
Looks like I have a lot to learn about clothing from a boaters perspective. Besides knowing that foul weather gear should not be cotton, I did not know it would be a issue for everyday use. I did know that mold/mildew would be a problem for everyday storage, so I was/am planning on keeping all my clothing in plastic bags when not in use, but I did not know sitting on the boat or walking around town would be an issue with what I'm wearing. But this is also coming from a girl who spent 5 hours in soaking wet yoga pants and a fleece when crossing Lake Michigan in a storm this past summer thinking, "That kind of sucked, but so is life."
Dudes, and Dudettes,

Don't take the "Cotton Kills" thing too seriously.. It depends on where you're sailing. Cotton would be fine in tropical climates - if you have the mildew thing under control. Realize, however that if you're on a boat, you're likely to get wet. Wet jeans and a cotton sweatshirt are not comfortable, and will set you up for hypothermia, in climates where the temperature gets below 70º.

Kudos to Serendipitous for your concern about your crew mates. I have great respect for a girl that can suck it up.

Although, you should realize that if you put yourself in danger of getting sick / hypothermic, you are also putting your crew mates at risk. You cease to be an asset, and become a liability. With the onset of hypothermia your reactions slow, and judgement becomes impaired, Finally, if you do succumb, the crew now has to work harder to treat you, and maintain the vessel...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook