Join Date: Nov 2010
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
I have some offshore experience but it pales in comparison to many others on here. Without speculating any more about Rule 62, I can say that we made a bad decision to "come in" early as severe thunderstorms (the front edge of a tropical storm) were heading our way. To top it off, we entered a marina at the height of the wind/rough seas (still much milder than what Rule 62 had faced). We barely survived the ordeal unscathed and also without crashing into the dock and other boats. In hindsight, it was a bad decision, but at the time, it seemed like the thing to do. Once we got tied up, we realized that one of the greatest dangers to boats is land and that we should never have attempted what we did. Our boat (a Peterson 44) could have weathered the mild storm quite well - better than I could at that time.
Being the inexperienced of the two of us, I think my fear of staying "out" and weathering the storm - on top of a couple of nights at sea - led to my husband's decision to head in. I do wonder if similar factors played into what happened on Rule 62. Even heading in to that particular harbor rather than going approx 20 miles further south and getting in the lee of Abaco altogether via the NW Providence Channel. I am just speculating about what happened may have happened as we don't know. But bottom line from what we learned on our boat: land and boats don't mix in bad weather.
Whatever happened on Rule 62, my heart goes out to the crew, family, and friends.