SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Shore Power went dead help!

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  sailingdog 
#1 ·
I have a Pearson 10M (1974) that I plugged into a 30A shore power outlet. Things were working great for a week and I cranked up the heat on my heater yesterday and it went lights out...

I have looked everywhere for a circuit breaker switch any ideas where it would have been? I found a 30A fuse I replaced but that made no difference. All DC systems work perfectly its just the 110V AC shore power sockets that are dead.

Any advice how to locate the fix would be greatly appreciated as its freeezing!

Thanks

#3 ·
That has happened to me...only when i ran two heaters off one 'side' of the boat. its fine if i spread the load over two breakers. your heater is probably pullin too much juice. i found my breakers under the galley counter. no idea where yours are, you are just gonna have to search.

#6 ·
I cant imagine you blew a master--did the dock have its lights on?...check by your battery switch, or near the steps to the companionway?

#7 ·
There is probably an AC shorepower panel on the boat, which you could have blown. There is usually a breaker on the shorepower post that you could have blown, but that is far less likely, since that is probably a 30 amp breaker.

Have you taken a multimeter and checked the basics... like disconnecting the shorepower cable and testing the voltage at it... If there is no voltage at the shore power cable, then the fault is on the shore side of things. If that is good, the problem is on the boat.

If the problem is on the boat, LEAVE THE SHOREPOWER CABLE DISCONNECTED and check for continuity from the shorepower inlet plug to the main shorepower AC panel. If that is good, then the problem is probably a bad breaker. You can check for continuity between the panel and the outlet to see if the problem lies there... if that checks out... then the problem is the heater.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.