SailNet Community - View Single Post - BVI cell/sat phone coverage
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2010

bshipp is on a distinguished road
BVI cell/sat phone coverage

I'm off to the BVI for a week in January for my first time. I had not planned on worrying about cell or sat phone coverage but alas circumstances require that I be in touch, more or less. I am looking at a terrestrial service from Brightroam (basically an international phone with a BVI SIM and prepaid minutes) or a sat phone from either Globalstar or Iridium. The Brightroam solution is by far the least expensive but I am concerned about coverage. Globalstar is the next best deal, but I know they've been having transponder problems on some of their satellites. Since they're a LEO provider, that would seem problematic if the errant satellite was one the that was in range at the time you needed to call. Iridium looks like the best coverage, but voice quality is cumbersome and the prices are up there. I really just need voice, not Internet. I'm not planning on having the unit on all the time, more just a once a day or every other day check-in, and from an anchorage, not open seas. I will probably visit the major islands and a few minor ones.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook