SailNet Community - View Single Post - Crimping versus Soldering
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2010
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
A friend asked me about crimping vs soldering his coax connections via email. I wanted to point him to SailNet in support of crimping.

Instead, I found this;
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCasey
Soldered terminals On final weak link is the end connectors. The connectors at both ends of the cable should be soldered to the cable. Solder connectors are not difficult to do, but if you donít feel competent to attempt this, do not fall back on crimp connectors as your alternative. Find a hobbyist friend or pay a technician to attach proper solder terminals.

I like to order cable with at least one terminal already soldered on by the supplier. This is the terminal I put at the masthead, appropriately waterproofed with adhesive-lined heat shrink (my preference), amalgamating tape, or silicone sealant. I feed the bare end through the mast and the boat, soldering on the connector at the radio end. In this way, I have a high level of confidence in the masthead terminal, and one I attach is easily accessible in case I botch the job.

Over and over we meet fellow cruisers lamenting poor performance of their VHF radios. All it usually takes to avoid this fate are fat wires, fat coax, and soldered terminals.
There Is Nothing Wrong with Your Radio

Thoughts / Rebuttal?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook