SailNet Community - View Single Post - Crimping versus Soldering
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2010

Patient is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairbank56 View Post
There is so much BS about this subject, it is sickening. I'm a marine electronics service technician and have been doing this for 35 years. I have installed hundreds of both crimp type and solder type or combination thereof, of coax connectors. Neither is "better", IF using quality connectors, the proper method of installation, the proper tools and proper weatherproofing technique. It is rare for me to find one installed properly by the do-it-yourselfer or inexperienced/improperly taught pro. It is amazing to me how many improperly installed coax connectors there are in the marine world. It's a common problem that will never go away.

I recommend that you do not use the Shakespeare gold center-pin coax connectors. I have replaced a ridiculous number of these due to failure of the shield connection. There's a whole pile of used ones sitting in my shop. I have more info on this problem with pictures if anyone is interested.

Eric
My question is what situation calls for use of either or?

I have seen numerous posts on the correct procedure for both types of fittings, but never a clear and present explanation of when to either one.

Don't be so harsh on the DIYers, sometimes the motivation is just to have a better understanding of whats behind the panels rather than cost effectiveness. I think when I am at that part of prepping I will use the consultation of someone in your profession mixed with a healthy serving of DIY as well. You get the best of both worlds that way.

Lastly, thanks to everyone for their musing on the subject, the thread has given purpose to a glass of Brandy.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook