SailNet Community - View Single Post - Anchor chain ... locker
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2010
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Charles--

While we no longer have her, we sailed a 1976 Cal 2-29 for upwards of 25 years. On our boat I partitioned the chain locker fore'n aft along the center-line with 1/2" plywood, covered with fiberglass. The top of the partition was level with the bottom of the square opening to the chain-locker from the V-berth. The opening to the chain locker was covered by a fitted teak faced plywood panel with a louvered vent held in place with 4 twist locks. We fitted a chain pipe above the mid-point of each side of the divided chain-locker with the following fitting:

A hook on the underside of the cap takes a loop of chain and holds the cap in place. (Off-shore, a couple of wraps of self-amalgamating silicon tape keeps the fitting nearly water tight.)

We fitted small bow rollers on either side of the prow followed with chain stoppers. Since I didn't have a windlass, when necessary I used one or the other of the halyard winches on the mast to hoist the anchor.

On the port side our primary gear consisted of 100' of 5/16" G-4 chain attached to 200' of 5/8" 8-plait nylon. On the starboard side our secondary consisted of 30 feet of 5/16" G4 and 250 feet of 8-plait nylon. Our primary anchor was a Fortress FX 23 mounted in a fitting attached to the center of the bow-pulpit. OUr "back-up anchor was a 22# Delta kept in the cockpit locker.

The foregoing arrangement worked very well and, although we would remove the primary anchor and rode for racing, the weight didn't seem to make much on any difference to the performance of the yacht.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook