SailNet Community - View Single Post - Starrett-Jenks Morgan45 info-opinions
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2010

wkeenan78 is on a distinguished road
Hello fellow S&J 45 owners! I just wanted to drop in and add my name to the list of S&J 45 owners! I bought my S&J 45 9-23-10 from the original owner and am in love with her. Her name is currently Halunke, which means rascal or villain in german, we plan to rename her something more suited to us. She is a 1976 Starrett and Jenks 45', hull # 27. Her hull was built in St Pete FL and has a 12,000 lbs lead keel. The interior was custom built and installed by St Pete Yacht Design. All work was professionally completed and she was launched in the spring of 1978. She is the only factory finished S&J 45 that I know of. She has a sloop rig set up for single handing and holds a 492 sf main sail, and a 672 sf jib. Her drifter is also 672 sf. I have only sailed her once so far but was very pleased with her! I only had the main up in 13 knots of wind and was seeing a steady 5.3 to 5.7 knots on the GPS. Her little diesel engine is a Volvo-Penta MD-17c, 35 HP. She holds 205 gallons of fuel and 200 gallons of fresh water. All electronics are from 1984 and are now obsolete. I purchased a Garmin 440s chart plotter for her and am VERY impressed with it. I installed 2 group 27 house batteries and one group 27 battery for engine starting. She needs a paint job from top to bottom but is very sea-worthy.

To see a beautiful S&J 45, look up "restoration of Grace" on Google. Those guys did a top-notch job on her.

Does anyone know how much these S&J 45's sold for originaly?

MickHowk, Thanks for helping me set her mainsail for the first time, it was nice to have someone there who knew how her rig was setup. I still want to get together with you for a tour of Mysti and also show you the blueprints and other paper work I have for our fine vessels
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook