SailNet Community - View Single Post - Landlocked Novice NEEDS Advice
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2010
Landlocked

moskalm is on a distinguished road
Landlocked Novice NEEDS Advice

Hey everybody!
This site is phenomenal, I'm hoping good advice can be obtained from all of you. I thank you all in advance for your knowledge and your contributions.

Heres the deal:
I will graduate from the University of Colorado in 1 week. After that, I need an adventure. I have 1 sailing lesson under my belt and no NOTHING about sailing but I have 20K saved and I want to buy and live on a 35 footer until that money runs out. For all you financial advisors out there YES I do realize this is a bad move monetarily, but I don't care, I'm only this free and this young once, so I'm going to make the most of it.
I'm starting with the Annapolis book of Seamanship DVDs and US sailing school in Fort Meyers, FL. I've thoroughly searched boats and pricing but I still have questions.

1) The tricky one first: I am planning this to be a solo trip. Am I naive to think it is safe to be alone? I have no problem being alone for long periods of time, I'm very solitary, so that is not an issue. But IS IT SAFE? What do you all think?

2) After a week-long, live aboard sailing school and obtaining all certifications am I really prepared to man a vessel alone? or is more experience vital? If so, HOW DO I GET THAT EXPERIENCE without emptying my savings?

3) What size boat would be best for a beginner that is going to be spending six months aboard? is a 30' much more manageable than 40'?

The list of curiosities is endless, I would appreciate any advice you have to give. Thanks for listening and happy travels to all!

Matt
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook