SailNet Community - View Single Post - Maximum Draft in Western Erie
View Single Post
post #6 of Old 12-09-2010
Alibaba
Ali Baba

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooreVOLS View Post
How is the trip to Pelee Island? That is one of the first cruises that I plan on taking.
10 years ago I spent almost every weekend on Western Lake Erie. I had a 26D Macgregor. I would trailor it to Sandusky bay, and leave the trailor at the dock.

Be careful leaving Sandusky Bay. Stay in the channel and you should be OK. Peelee Island is a good trip, just stay in the center of the channels. The south end of peelee Island is very shallow.

Be careful if you plan to go to Canada`s Peelee Point, the most southern tip of mainland Canada. At 2AM running with the spinnaker in 3 foot waves, about 2 miles directly south of the point, I hear a bunch of sea gulls squacking and suddenly find myself in breaking waves and sitting on a sandbar, the rudder kicked up and the next wave carried me over the sand bar. I took down the sails and motored to the east side of peelee point and dropped anchor for the night.

I checked the chart. Note. rough currents and drifting sandbars. I had made the trip numerous times without a problem. On the way back to Ohio in a dead calm I passed the area. there was a massive sandbar which I would guess was under six inches of water. The sea gulls seem to like the place.

About 5 miles south of peelee point you enter the channel for the freigher. As I was approaching a large freigher passed in front of me. IT left a trail of muddy water suggesting pretty shallow water.

I have been to every Island and every anchorage in that part of the lake. I seen a lot of big Sailboats with deep keels. You shouldnt have any problems.

3 post below, BJbones mentions Long Point Bay. When I started sailing out of Erie Pennsylvania, long point was a nice trip. I personally seen 3 sailboats aground there.

One Sailboat (Catalina 30) ran aground about 200 yards off the point, but easily tipped over a few degrees and pushed to deeper water. I seen a Sailboat drag anchor at Pottahawk point and run aground. It took awhile to pull it into deeper water. I seen a catalina 25 run aground entering turkey point, but the pilot simply wasnt paying attention.

I ran my 16 inch draft Mac 26 aground a few places in Long point bay while anchoring or xploring shallow areas. Nothing serious that i couldnt jump in the water and push,

Good Luck with your new boat. Se you next summer.

Ali Baba..
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome