SailNet Community - View Single Post - Maximum Draft in Western Erie
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2010
Ali Baba

Alibaba is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooreVOLS View Post
How is the trip to Pelee Island? That is one of the first cruises that I plan on taking.
10 years ago I spent almost every weekend on Western Lake Erie. I had a 26D Macgregor. I would trailor it to Sandusky bay, and leave the trailor at the dock.

Be careful leaving Sandusky Bay. Stay in the channel and you should be OK. Peelee Island is a good trip, just stay in the center of the channels. The south end of peelee Island is very shallow.

Be careful if you plan to go to Canada`s Peelee Point, the most southern tip of mainland Canada. At 2AM running with the spinnaker in 3 foot waves, about 2 miles directly south of the point, I hear a bunch of sea gulls squacking and suddenly find myself in breaking waves and sitting on a sandbar, the rudder kicked up and the next wave carried me over the sand bar. I took down the sails and motored to the east side of peelee point and dropped anchor for the night.

I checked the chart. Note. rough currents and drifting sandbars. I had made the trip numerous times without a problem. On the way back to Ohio in a dead calm I passed the area. there was a massive sandbar which I would guess was under six inches of water. The sea gulls seem to like the place.

About 5 miles south of peelee point you enter the channel for the freigher. As I was approaching a large freigher passed in front of me. IT left a trail of muddy water suggesting pretty shallow water.

I have been to every Island and every anchorage in that part of the lake. I seen a lot of big Sailboats with deep keels. You shouldnt have any problems.

3 post below, BJbones mentions Long Point Bay. When I started sailing out of Erie Pennsylvania, long point was a nice trip. I personally seen 3 sailboats aground there.

One Sailboat (Catalina 30) ran aground about 200 yards off the point, but easily tipped over a few degrees and pushed to deeper water. I seen a Sailboat drag anchor at Pottahawk point and run aground. It took awhile to pull it into deeper water. I seen a catalina 25 run aground entering turkey point, but the pilot simply wasnt paying attention.

I ran my 16 inch draft Mac 26 aground a few places in Long point bay while anchoring or xploring shallow areas. Nothing serious that i couldnt jump in the water and push,

Good Luck with your new boat. Se you next summer.

Ali Baba..
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook