SailNet Community - View Single Post - Landlocked Novice NEEDS Advice
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2010

jackdale will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by moskalm View Post

1) The tricky one first: I am planning this to be a solo trip. Am I naive to think it is safe to be alone? I have no problem being alone for long periods of time, I'm very solitary, so that is not an issue. But IS IT SAFE? What do you all think?
Yes - you are naive.
No -it is not safe, it may be illegal. Check ColRegs for watch requirements.

Quote:
2) After a week-long, live aboard sailing school and obtaining all certifications am I really prepared to man a vessel alone? or is more experience vital? If so, HOW DO I GET THAT EXPERIENCE without emptying my savings?
I am instructor. A one week course is NOT sufficient. Go to your local sailing club, yacht club and crew in some races. Get some coastal expereince crewing or chartering with friends. Take on offshore course after completing the prerequisite courses. Take coastal navigation.

Quote:
3) What size boat would be best for a beginner that is going to be spending six months aboard? is a 30' much more manageable than 40'?
That depends on how the boat is set up. I have single-handed in coastal waters on 37 foot sloop. I have 30,000 miles of sailing over 30 years.

BTW - your budget is inadequate. There have been several threads on similar topics.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook