SailNet Community - View Single Post - URGENT: ***Beware: Fake Camaraderie E-mails***
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2010
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
URGENT: ***Beware: Fake Camaraderie E-mails***

Well, I received this e-mail which I think is false in my messagebox this morning. I'm pretty sure it's fake as the reply-to address has two a's where there should only be one. I mistakenly replied to it this morning before I really checked it out and he came back and said to wire him $2,500 to help out - which is what made me look closer. Anyway, the fact that when I replied it went to the slightly altered address and I got a reply back is what tipped me off. Someone must have hacked his yahoo account and is pretending to be him using information from his mailbox.

Slight update: found the exact wording of the e-mail on this scam site:

» Travel Scam Alert – Your friend was not mugged

Quote:
Hi,

I'm writing this with tears in my eyes,my family and I came down here to (London,England), for a short vacation unfortunately we were mugged at the park of the hotel where we stayed,all cash,credit cards and cell were stolen off us but luckily for us we still have our passports with us.

We have been to the Police here but they're not helping issues at all and our flight leaves pretty soon from now but we're having problems settling the hotel bills and the hotel manager won't let us leave until we settle the bills. your contribution will go along way here. Please be so kind to reply back so i can tell you what to do and how to get some cash to us...

George & Janet xxxx (edit: was proper last name)
s/v Camaraderie
xxxxcaamaraderie@xxxx.com

Between the dream and the deed lie the doldrums - sail on!
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me

Last edited by labatt; 12-10-2010 at 01:43 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook