SailNet Community - View Single Post - Panama to Sea of Cortez
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2010

IslandFever is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

Chris and all readers:
CHANGE IN PLANS!!!
I posted my crew request before I arrived back at the boat and found that the individual I was paying to manage the boat took the money and ran. When I returned I found water 2 inches above the cabin sole (the boat is ON THE HARD, not in the water). Also several items are either missing or damaged. Also, every surface has mold. It seems there is a new leak where the mast penetrates the topside, and that was the source of all the water. When you consider the perpetual and torrential rains that occur here during the rainy season, you can appreciate how much water can accumulate thru such an apparently tiny leak.
I have a lot of work to do to make the boat ready, and don't anticipate being able to depart Panama before early to mid-March. That will provide for better sailing conditions anyway, as that's about the time the wind shifts around from a beat to a close reach when heading north. However, it will narrow the travel window, as I want to get into the Sea of Cortez by mid-May, which is the official start of the Pacific hurricane season (the 'caines usually hit on the mainland coast somewhere between or around Acapulco and Mazatlan, then swing west to hit Cabo, then back out into the Pacific).
As for anticipated living conditions on Island Fever, they won't be first rate, but should be reasonable - dry bunks, hot meals, and working heads. I'm going to have to construct an igloo cooler type refrigerator (with large cold plate and compressor), and replace the stove. It will take some time to get the parts shipped. I'll have the cabin sole replaced once the rains stop.
So, in brief, the sail plan is to depart here mid-March and arrive in San Carlos late May. It will be a challenging sojourn until we reach Acapulco, and then will become more relaxing. Travel reimbursement and other amenities as described in my initial post.

Last edited by IslandFever; 12-12-2010 at 10:56 AM. Reason: additional info
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook