SailNet Community - View Single Post - Seeking opinions on sailboat design
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2010

sparker27 is on a distinguished road
I wasn't even thinking about building but after seeing how much people spend on refitting plus the cost of the boat itself, it might be an option.

It would cost $11-12,000 to build the hull complete with paint. This includes all plywood, other materials, epoxy, fiberglass, fairing, primer, paint and lead for keel. Other major items are OB, spars/sails, deck hardware, anchors/tackle, electronics, wind vane, head, solar setup, cushions, safety items (raft etc..) and all rigging.

I don't know what total cost would be, I have only cost out the hull so far.

Many of these items I would be paying for anyway during a refit or having to buy regardless since most likely any used boat I buy won't have them.

No matter what I do (build or buy), I am going to go very minimal. Minimal electronics, single burner only for kitchen etc....... No big cruiser items like ice maker, AC, extensive electronics etc....I would buy used and deals, new when needed.

I am going to put together an estimate for both scenarios. It is on the in the near future to do list.

Plus I personally see value in completing the trip with a boat I built myself, so that counts for something.

Last edited by sparker27; 12-13-2010 at 09:29 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook