SailNet Community - View Single Post - Seeking opinions on sailboat design
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2010

sparker27 is on a distinguished road
This is what I am trying to figure out and I am finding out it isn't easy. How well the boat would perform offshore from a motion/seaworthiness perspective compared to other older designs like the Contessa/Cape Dory etc......

I am starting to learn that even with all the technology, engineering, research etc.... how a sailboat will perform is still very subjective unlike say something like cars. At least it appears that way to me.

I know the same 5 panel hull shape is used on their VG20 design ( Vagabond Plus 20 - Study Plans ) , and it performs very well. Routinely winning and placing at the top in coastal cruiser club racing events. Owners also have very positive reports from those that have sailed it across the gulf stream and other coastal cruising destinations as well as those that have been in some heavier weather with it. Of course coastal cruising has different needs than offshore.

They use the same 5 panel hull on the VG23 model
( Vagabond 23 - Study Plans ) which is an updated design of the serpentaire
( Untitled Document) stitch and glue model that they use to sell.

Jacques has the offshore experience and has been a long time designer for some pretty big names in the industry so that has to count for something. Most people that I talk to don't have anything positive to say about the VG26 design from an offshore cruising perspective but not many can explain why so who knows if what they are saying is accurate.

My lack of experience is definitely not helping then add in the fact that even though several are being built, none are sailing yet because it is a new design so there are no owner reports.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
The issues that I would have with the Vagabond 26 has little to do with its keel and rudder type or its overhangs. My main gripe would be with its hull form and interior layout. The Vagabond 26's hull form appears to be generated to make it easy to construct in sheet plywood rather than to produce a boat which offers a comfortable motion, or seaworthiness, (or decent performance for that matter). Similarly the interior layout makes sense for a family weekender, but not for a long distance offshore single-handed cruiser.

Last edited by sparker27; 12-14-2010 at 11:23 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook