SailNet Community - View Single Post - Boat Prices/Boat Values-Fiberglass
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2006

LyleRussell is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to LyleRussell
Yes the owner has already rejected a $97k offer on a 114,000 asking. Twice, once last summer and again this spring. A yardie told me he was only out to her twice last year. He doesn't sail her, just stays aboard. The white bottom is actually green now.

You guys are right, something isn't adding up. 114,000 is a fair price for a J-37c given that there were only 7-8 built and they don't come on the market very often. Recently a J-37c sold here in the Chessie for 95 on an asking of 114 so I think my offer on this one is reasonable.

I am pushing this one fairly hard because it exactly fits what I want in a boat. The J-40 I asked about earlier this month was really too big and expensive for us. A J-35c or a J-110 would be a good choice too. Over the years I have looked at everything from Swan's and Hinckleys to Hunters and Catalina's. We spent a season with a timeshare on a J-110 and loved her, so that's why the interest in mid sized J's.

I'm thinking that the owner really doesn't want to sell her unless he can find a sucker who will pay his inflated price. Ie "not seriously for sale". It's not likely a tax deduction thing because the carrying costs of a boat far exceed the money saved on taxes.

Back to my original question re-worded. Is .85 of asking reasonable? Is 97k for a 17 year old 37' er reasonable.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook