SailNet Community - View Single Post - Live Aboard Marinas in Florida
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2010
Cruiser-in-training

sbonham is on a distinguished road
Thanks Cruising Dad,

I too am hoping to live aboard in FL. I've love to be on the west gulf coast (Clearwater, St. Pete, Sarasota, Ft. Myers stretch). I sailed in the St. Pete area (Madeira Beach - John's Pass) recently and was disappointed that anchoring might prove difficult in that the Bayous there are SO shallow.

Here's my expected boat info (Something about 30-32' with a swing keel (coastal cruiser) - draft about 3'. Mast height 36-38' max.

What's my potential? Better places?

Thx,
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
What part of Florida, what type of sailboat?

If you are thinking about living aborad in SE Fl, dream on unless you have a lot of money to buy a house and stick your boat behind it. There are some marinas, but there are not a lot.

On the SW side of Florida, it is better - but not a whole lot better. There are several marinas you can liveaboard, but the fees are quite high (I think it averages around $17/foot/month), and you will be restricted by mast height and how much you draw. The bridges on SW Fl ICW are 55'.

I have not liveaboard or cruised NE or NW Florida, but understand Pensacola is quite nice from friends of ours that did.

You might really consider spending most of your time on the hook. Marinas are over rated, expensive, and unneccesary in many areas.

Give me some thoughts and what you want to do (specifics), I will give you some ideas on how to go about it.

- CD
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook