SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cuba in my sights
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2010
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leocat66 View Post
Yes, by all means, be patient and wait until it is perfectly safe, legal, and blessed by our totally free and suppressive government. That way you will certainly be assured of missing the real place. You know, high rise condos on every beach, just like Cancun, Cozumel, Belize, Americanized. If you plan to wait, just go to any of those places and see Cuba as it will be when we have their blessing.

It is, as I understand, not illegal to go to Cuba, only to spend US dollars there. I believe that there are several web sites, one connected to one of the KEYS sites, that goes into great detail on cruising to Cuba. If I can find it again I will post it here.

Sure there are risks, and after all, if we all here in the USA always obeyed all of the rules, to the letter, we would still be speaking the kings English. Someone here has a signature line which states that when all is said and done we will regret those things we did not do most of all, or words to that effect.

There are innovative ways to do it if you really want it. A few years ago the good old FEDS tried to prosecute the organizers of a race from south FL to Havana. The charges were dropped. Would have loved to have served on that jury.
You know, I just have to comment on this. I re-read the post several times and it kept saying the same thing: break the laws because you don't agree with them or because Cuba is pretty now and won't be later.

I simply cannot imagine any place on this planet that is worth me risking my boat, possible imprisonment, tens of thousands of dollars, and at the very least, a LOT of harrassment and aggravation from our government. And frankly, your strong suggestions of taking the law into your own hands and doing whatever you want because you don't agree with them strikes me as irresponsible.

If you want to risk your boat and well-being, that is up to you. I will tell you that, per several local cruisers in Marathon, the US Customs boats in Marathon are just itching to pull people over for coming in from the south. They consistently cruised all around us and our docks. I had another sailor in marathon tell me that the govt was flying a blimp or something to watch to see who was crossing from there. Do I beleive all of it? Well, what I saw certainly made me think twice.

I have heard the hear-say about jumping south to Mexico before coming home, not getting your passport stamped, or telling the US Government that you didn't spend a penny in Cuba because Castro is running an international kegger. I just cannot see that it is worth the risk and I would never encourage others to take the risk.

My opinions.

Brian

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook