SailNet Community - View Single Post - In-mast furler; to buy or not to buy;
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2010

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Okey dokey.

SD makes a good point. Whatever happens, my wife does need to be able to handle it alone. The good news is, she's a pretty tough gal and I give her better than 50/50 odds in the worst scenario. She makes it a point to wanting to be able to do all sailing tasks herself. In fact, she usually volunteers to grind up the main (when we're on a boat that need to be ) I fell in love with her when I walked into her apartment years ago and found her crawling around her attic replacing her dryer vent. She's a keeper.

I get the point about a heavy rain soaked sail. First, heavy weather procedure is not to drop the main, it is to furl her in and run another up the slot on the outside of the mast with the spare halyard. That isn't so tough with a smaller sail. In the worst case scenario, we would drop the main on the coach top and lash it all down at the base of the mast. My wife could undoubtedly do that. Ugly, but it would do in an emergency, there is plenty of room, the boom is chest high at the mast.

Also, keep in mind that she will sail just fine at 20kts of true wind with all the sheets fully out and just easing off the main a bit. You'll see 9+ kts all day long in those winds. When reefing that much sail becomes an issue for us, you've found yourself in some real snot that was probably avoidable for the coastal cruising we typically do.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook