SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cuba in my sights
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2010

Leocat66 is on a distinguished road
When the Feds take a person to court they usually attempt to apply pressure in order to make a deal and secure a plea from the accused. That is apparently what happened when the race organizers were charged relating to the race to Havana a few years ago. Apparently the organizers refused to take a plea and were therefore set to go to trial.

Whenever a case goes to trial there is a chance that the defendant might be found not guilty. That would be quite a negative for the prosecution especially in a case such as that, and would set a precedence, therefore making it nearly impossible to proceed against anyone from that day forward on a similar case. Imagine the consequences to a ruling such as that. They would have to appeal it all the way to the Supreme Court and could loose, allowing all here to travel to Cuba freely without consequence. The FEDS never want that to happen, and therefore dropped the charges, as I understand, leaving the law intact. We need a test case, but probably will never get one..

They intimidate those that they can through scare tactics. This way they can continue to bully us, as most of us cannot afford to hire high priced attorneys.

Remember CD that the only information that we have about Cuba and its threat to us comes from our government. Our government tells lies too. I think for myself and research as best I can to learn the real truth, which typically falls somewhere in the middle. Many a treaty has been made with the American Indian. The US Government has never kept one!

This is certainly quite political, but it does affect all cruisers from the US also.

Last edited by Leocat66; 12-16-2010 at 10:01 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook