SailNet Community - View Single Post - What's Better Than a Westsail 32?
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2006

Basilboy is on a distinguished road
This is an honest-to-golly-real question, not intend to cause a dust-up or anything like that. And I know that the question gets asked a lot, but everyone has slightly different reasons for what they are looking for, and as we all know, boats are pretty specific in terms of what they were built for.

While of course we could get by in terms of a typical coastal cruiser, we have to have something more seaworthy than what we would actually expect to experience; perhaps a bit silly, but that’s the contract I’m working under and I don’t got a lot of leeway with it.
As an example, with the Ontario 32 suggested, the fin keel/spade rudder bit along with relatively low angle of vanishing stability and light displacement – I could not honestly tell the boss that this is an excellent seaworthy design, even though many use them for exactly what our plans are.

In another post JeffH commented that he can’t understand why in the world people buy heavy offshore boats for coastal work, and my wife is a perfect example why! It’s the only way I can get her out there.

There are a lot of good smaller, 70s era sailboats that meet the seaworthiness and size criteria (I have the book Twenty Small Boats to Take You Anywhere) but most of these designs are too small. I know narrow beam contributes to seaworthiness all things being equal, But I need the kind of space that the Wetsnail 32 gives. I also want to avoid the Tiawanese boats because importing them into Canada is very expensive.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook