SailNet Community - View Single Post - What's your biggest bonehead move sailing?
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2010
Quirky

Sublime is on a distinguished road
I decided to abort a landing on a yawl rig on my second time using an outboard. Unfortunately, I had some sort of brain fart and forgot that the mizzen mast got in the way of the handle on the outboard in one direction. I throttled up the outboard and turned, but the mast prevented it. This sent me careening towards the boat ramp turning at a rate too slow going forward at a rate too fast. The sound of the outboard hitting the concrete ramp nearly jostled the fillings out of my teeth. And here come the looky-loos.

I tied her up at the dock just to gather my senses. I decided that this was not as big a deal as my adrenal glands had decided because you can easily row this boat. I set it up and realized there wasn't a way to keep the oars in the row locks after a few tries. The wind had completely died otherwise I could have sailed her in with no problem.

I used an oar to stick in the ground and try and get the boat moved that way. After that failed, my arms shaking with fatigue, I promised some looky-loos that I'll get this and I tossed a rope towards a helper. I watched the entire rope, all the way to the end, fly away and land in the water. I hadn't secured one end! Sonofa... Davy got a brand new rope to go with a shear pin that day.

Longest. Recovery. Ever.

A ship in harbor is safe, but that's not why ships are built.

My girls:
1974 Alcort Minifish-Minifish
2001 Drascombe Lugger-Penelope
2004 Hunter 260-Miss Muffet

Last edited by Sublime; 12-17-2010 at 11:04 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook