SailNet Community - View Single Post - Chartering BVI? Stay far away from Conch Chrs
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2010
Lake Michigan

kenhoneycutt is on a distinguished road
Conch was OK

When we chartered with them. The staff was friendly and knowledgeable (much more casual atmosphere then Footloose and answered all questions).
Only complaint was the boat was a little rundown. Autopilot didn't work which is not that big a deal but since I basically handle the boat myself it made things a little more interesting when raising the main. Knotmeter didn't work either. Also had to refill the radiator occasionally with antifreeze they supplied (didnt really know what it was for at first but realized after the hot water supply quit working..had to laugh at that one). Despite the problems we still enjoyed the trip and would charter from them again unless they've really gone down hill. This year we're using Sunsail mainly to have a little newer boat with everything working along with the price being competitive (double reef week).

Bottom line I would say that being a boat owner helps when chartering older boats like the ones at Conch because you know what to expect and are more apt to forgive minor problems encountered. If I were to have the problems I had with the Conch boat on a Moorings or Sunsail boat I would be highly PO'd considering the cost difference.