SailNet Community - View Single Post - The sail back
Thread: The sail back
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2010

71Irwin32 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by souljour2000 View Post
Thanks for posting the details of your outing..this forum serves it's purpose best when real-world situations can be discussed, analyzed, etc and as long as the day in question didn't end in tragedy... someone learned something useful that may help someone else.

As with the Rule 62 thread, of course, once in a while our human fallibilities fail to match the challenge that nature has presented to us whether it be the wrong decision made the night before we leave port or a poor decision made 6 days into a sleepless white-knuckle passage.

In this case I'd say try to get that Atomic 4 fixed...using an outboard with a big 32-foot Irwin has got to be a bear since that prop cant be too far below the water. Propeller cavitation is a nuisance at times with my SF 24 and 9.8 sailmaster outboard but single-handing a 24-footer is one thing...I'd imagine a 32-footer is alot more boat under those conditions when your alone..
Yes I agree with your premise. I'd planned my trip very carefully before hand and then had to wait a few days for the wind to be moderate and out of the North. I left on the only day for the rest of the season that was pretty reasonable and had to come back to work under deadlines. The currents in the Lidia Ann are very unpredictable at best. The outboard even though not optimum wasn't that bad. My real mistake was not inspecting the mainsail real well, ....not only was the reefing line caught up, but a short rope lashed around the boom that i have no recollection of....I saw the reefing line caught up on the mast cleat, but failed to see the rope lashed around the boom about 5' from the end and still don't know where it came from or why it was there. It was what actually caused the tension that tore out the lazyjacks and I didn't find it till much later after I was out of the channel and in the bay.

My fault either way. Otherwise the main wouldn't have caused problems and the trip would've gone much more like planned.

I should've inspected everything more carefully before leaving.

...and I learned that the wheel needs to be further away from the boom block and traveler.

Another note about the depth of the prop. I installed a "Bay Manufacturing" extension on the outboard so the cavitation plate is typically almost a foot under the surface....made a big difference.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by 71Irwin32; 01-31-2011 at 09:08 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook