SailNet Community - View Single Post - Making plan for to Marsh Harbour, Bahamas
View Single Post
post #6 of Old 12-19-2010
marianclaire

I have been planning a trip from Lake Worth to Marsh Harbor in March. I have not done this trip before and I have limited experience off shore. Just some day jumps between Miami, Ft L, LW, Stuart, crossing Fla Bay etc. Everything I have read and everyone I talk to stresses waiting for the right weather window and therefore the need to not have a schedule. My boat is slow, 4.5 knots, so I plan to leave LW heading due E and riding the Gulf Stream N and crossing the bank N of White Sands Ridge. From there the options are many. S to the east side of West End, on to Mangrove or Great Sale or straight thru to Spanish etc. My schedule is basically open but my crew’s is not. If we cross near the end of his time we would cross then head S to West End and he can taxi/shuttle to Freeport and fly home. But we both realize that if the weather is not right we will just sit and drink beer in LW. Coming from the north you also need to consider getting around Whale Cay to get to MH. I think you could get ashore at the ferry landing on Great Abaco Island and get to the airport by taxi if stuck N of the Whale.
Again: I have not done this trip so do not have first hand knowledge.This is just some of the stuff I have looked at. Dan S/V Marian Claire
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome