SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Sailboat design question

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  infonote 
#1 ·
I don't know squat about the history of sailboat design, so would somebody please explain the change in shapes that have predominated over time? It seems like in the 60's boats were fairly narrow and with the maximum beam around midships, in the 70's they seemed to get wider but with really pinched transoms and the maximum beam pulled back, then the 80's on forward they stayed wide all the way to the stern. All along the way, freeboard seems to have marched steadily higher. Am I off base? Did any of these design trends actually make the boats better at sailing?

#3 ·
Wanted a bit more

Thanks, seabreeze_97. I have read that article, and it does address some of the things I have noticed, but it leaves open the big question -- did any of these design changes, whether motivated by racing rules or other forces, actually result in better sailing boats? Or was the effect perverse, rewarding inferior design choices?

#4 ·
I had the opportunity to hear Robert Perry discuss some of these same issues. The gist of his opinion was that while none of these changes resulted in better boats per se, the cumulative research and what was learned from trying different things has resulted in better sailing boats today than in the past. More modern underbodies point better and are faster than where we started before the racing rules etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.