SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bilge pump question
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2010

CLucas is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to CLucas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtober View Post
Thanks CLucas, I knew I couldn't be the only one who thought this arrangement needed modification.

Curious why no check valve, as it is a long run from the bilge to above the water line on the stern? I assumed you'd want one not too far from the pump.
Check valves generally get a thumbs down when it comes to bilge pumps, since they can easily render the pump useless if they get clogged or fail to operate. Too close to the pump on a long hose run from bilge to thru-hull and the pump may not have enough pressure to open the check valve, rendering it useless. There are plenty of articles available on this topic -- from Cruising World:

Quote:
"Check valves are prohibited by the American Boat & Yacht Council for use as an anti-siphon device-and with good reason: They're notorious for failing in both the open and the closed position, which respectively leads to flooding or failure to pump. Check valves may be used, though, to prevent water from a long hose from flowing back to the bilge. However, be warned: If the valve is close to the pump, the pump may not be able to overcome the weight of the water on the other side of the valve, rendering the pump ineffective."
Here's the article: Wire and Plumb Your Bilge Pump Properly | Cruising World. There's lots of good advice in these forums as well.
1977 Pearson 30 #995
~~~~~~_/) ~~~~~~
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook