SailNet Community - View Single Post - Is the Columbia 45 Motorsailer Ocean Worthy?
View Single Post
Old 12-22-2010

souljour2000 is on a distinguished road
If it was built in 1973 or before the Arab oil embargo...then I'd say yes...this is a boat you'll do well to buy and sail to the gates of Valhalla...that's because no matter how they did the stringers and panels..the thing is probably an inch thick in the thinnest upper hull area... like even in spots several feet above the water line. I'd agree with Radicalcy though...go to the Columbia website and read and talk to people there.

If it's cheap enough and the decks aren't rotted ... and there isn't a rusting steel beam running down the middle like some Columbia's were built with in this period)...then maybe get the thing... I know there are some who are into new flat wide boats and deride the older boats...I disagree with them but thats one man's opinion.. I think they have some good points and thicker is not necessarily better but it sure helps...stringers can sometimes be added near the chainplates and according to Jeff the plywood in the cabin of many Columbia's was not marine grade so you may be ripping stuff out inside anyway... it's something that can be addressed after you buy if you are serious about giving your boat even more safe upgrades...aren't we all doing that to our boats after all..old and new...most of us are or want to add that floatation chamber or that epirb or that mast filled with foam peanuts..etc.....there's always room for improvement but most of the hulls(and keels) failing catastrophically these days and over the last decade seem to be in boats built after the mid- late 1970's ....give me thick glass vs. skinny multitudinous panels...and while your at it...give me the sea-kindly features associated with those deep and narrow-beam lead-filled old gals like Columbia made...not sure if the Columbia 45 had lead in her or not....hopefully not some bolt-on iron keel though...

Last edited by souljour2000; 12-23-2010 at 08:06 AM. Reason: `
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook