SailNet Community - View Single Post - New windlass?
Thread: New windlass?
View Single Post
Old 12-22-2010
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
New windlass?

I don't want a new windlass. Unfortunately it's looking like that might be a possibility in the near future. I have a Lewmar Ocean 1 vertical windlass that I just put a new gearbox and motor on two years ago but I think the main base/body of the thing is just plain worn out. The only problem I'm having with it is that the chain (all chain, 3/8" BBB) will not feed out without jamming repeatedly when I'm trying to anchor. By jamming I mean that the chain gets caught between the SS body of the windlass and the gypsy right where the chain is supposed to feed into the gypsy. At it's worst it jams maybe 50 times while trying to let out 125', on a good day maybe only a dozen jams or so. Each time I have to reverse the windlass and bring in several inches of chain and then try it again. In a tight anchorage, or with current or wind it is almost impossible to get the hook down where it needs to be. I've replaced the little wear parts, but they just get chewed up and broken in no time. I think that the inside of the body is just so worn that it's allowing the chain to fall over too far where it's supposed to be feeding it into the gypsy. I wouldn't be completely opposed to a new windlass but for the fact that apparently the new windlasses don't offer a gypsy that works with BBB chain, at least Lewmar doesn't seem to, and the chain I have is in great shape (re-galvanized two years ago). Any ideas or suggestions before I bite the bullet?
Thanks in advance.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook