SailNet Community - View Single Post - DIY sliding outboard mount
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2010

tmalcolm is on a distinguished road
Greenman -
Quote:
Would it be worth mounting a lifting eye on the top of the teak block in order to use a block of your stern rail to raise and lower the mount?
A couple of blocks and some line for lifting on my 'repairs and upgrades' list for this winter! The sliding setup has worked really well this season, but there were a few ocassions when leaning over the transom, pulling on an engine while the boat pitched and rolled, was 'exciting'

Quote:
Also I was wondering if there was any thought given to adding a bar between the top and bottom of the angle iron for a little extra strength?
Never thought of that. It'd certainly make everything more rigid, but IMO it's not necessary.

If I was doing it over, the changes would be:
* Make the Nida-PTC cored transom thinner. A 2" thinck transom is total overkill!!
* Use starboard (or similar) to mount/slide on the bars instead of wood because the wood tends to swell slightly by the end of the day (even though it's sealed with penetrating epoxy and several surface coats of epoxy).

All in all, this was a cheap, simple and effective solution to mounting the OB and getting the prop out of the water while under sail.

BTW, the 316L Stainless was from OnlineMetals.com

--Tim.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook