SailNet Community - View Single Post - Best 23ft sailboat for beginner
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2010

frankknott1 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to frankknott1 Send a message via Skype™ to frankknott1
O'Day 23

I have owned a 79 O'Day 23 since 1989 and found it roomy enough for week long cruises around Narragansett Bay or to Block Island with three of our children. Initially they all fit in the V berth, but there is room for five with the double and single in the main cabin. Sinks and stoves slide out of the way when not in use and the cockpit was large enough for five or six when sailing. The drop down table was large enough to handle meals and the main cabin comfortable when all were below.
It was and still is the only boat I have owned and sailed so I will not try to rate it against other boats. We bought the boat then learned to sail it (OJT). I was always comfortable in seas under 4 or 5 feet and breezes under twenty knots although we did have a few "fire drills" that we survived without a scratch to crew or boat.
The O'Day has a keel/centerboard combination that only draws 27" of water depending on how it is loaded so some of my best sails have been around Point Judith Pond away from the busier channels.
I bought the boat for $3000 back in 89. It was in excellent condition and still is as it has not been in the water every season recently. The topsides have a few small cracks and the teak rails are close to replacement. I am still using the original sails (main, jib, 150 genoa, and a spinaker that has never been out of the bag).
Good Luck.

Last edited by frankknott1; 12-23-2010 at 09:31 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook