SailNet Community - View Single Post - Haulout window missed?
View Single Post
Old 12-24-2010
Aeolus II

mccary is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaschrumpf View Post
I've left my 1975 Newport 28 in my slip at White Rocks since I bought her in 2007, only pulling out for a powerwash and general inspection in the spring.

Last winter when we got 30" of snow I nearly panicked, and drove my Honda Civic into the wilds of Pasadena down Fort Smallwood road to get to her and shovel her off. When I got there I couldn't even see where she was even an inch deeper in the water -- and my cockpit was full to the gun'ls.

Now I realize what a load she can handle, and if we get big snows again I know I can wait a couple of days for the plows to get around before heading over to shovel her out.
My 27 also lives in the water and last year was dramatic for sure. West river had several boats capsize from the added weight, mostly power boats. My boat was loaded down with the water line several inches under water. My boat is not at a marina, she lives at a private dock so I went down and used a snow blower to blaze a path, that took 2˝ hours to reach the boat and then cleaned off the 30+" of wet snow. I am hoping for the global warming to kick in this winter and keep her relatively snow/ice free although when I saw her on the 22nd she was iced in and that is not a happy sight. She was fine and had a dry bilge:-)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook