SailNet Community - View Single Post - Volvo Penta opinions?
View Single Post
Old 12-25-2010

negrini is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to negrini Send a message via Yahoo to negrini Send a message via Skype™ to negrini
I had a MD2040C on a 40 feet some years ago. I had replaced a very old MD13, and was very happy with engine performance. The boat belongs now to a friend wich have 3900 hours on it and still runs like new. Hartley is correct about parts price, but you'll find a great worldwide support, and rarely the parts supplier doesn't have what you need at store. Regarding the improved heat exchanger, I had some problems. During the engine replacement, I mistakingly stepped over the water tap, right above the exchanger reservatory, to make in and out of the cabin. It created a very tinny crack on the tap neck that allowed a very small amount of water leaking from it. Strangely, as the temperature raised (not to a point to sound the alarm), the rubber that separate the salt water from the fresh water on the heat exchanger, became loosy and allowed some salt water mix. Overtime, the process continued as I didn't note the small leak under the cap, making the internal coolant completely salt, and the never got any alarm, since temperature became under control all the time. After some weeks, I noticed the leak as it left a clear trace of dry salt. I did try many alternatives to fix the cap, and after a year or so, the only remedy was the complete replacement of the heat exchange ... a very expensive repair. I enjoyed the engine smoothnes some more years, but if I need to choose one, I'll stick to my recent Yanmars !
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook