SailNet Community - View Single Post - under Under $5k a year possible on Chesapeake Bay?
View Single Post
Old 12-26-2010

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
If I had to spend that much just to dock my boat on the Bay, I wouldn't have one.

We pay $1680 per year at Olverson's (Olverson's Lodge Creek Marina) which I consider to be one of the gems of the Chesapeake. It's a true boater's yard - not fancy, but clean, well maintained, and with all the amenities. There is asuch a dedicated following, that people pass their slips to their kids. Fred Olverson is a boater, spending 6 mos a year onboard Freddy Bear and the ICW.

Buzzards Point (Buzzard's Point Marina) is cheaper at $1200. Less amenities, but quiet and at the gateway to some of the best sailing on the Bay. We spent 10 years there, leaving only to accommodate our 6 year old with a pool, etc at Olverson's.

On the Eastern Shore, check out Somers Cove Marina (Somers Cove Marina) in Crisfield. It's a very large, well run marina, with ALL the amenities. For a 30' boat the yearly fee would be $1620.

If you are interested in the Northern Neck, there are others. Basically, the closer to Annapolis that you go, the more expensive that it is. Middle Bay is much more laid back and rural feeling.

Last edited by Sabreman; 12-26-2010 at 12:36 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook