SailNet Community - View Single Post - Recommended Reading
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2010

sealover is on a distinguished road
Looking for the name of 2 books

Perhaps the group can be of some help. There's two books I'd like to read but don't know the titles or authors.

The first is a newer book that I saw reviewed in a sailing magazine... it was about whaling in Antarctica in the late 1800's. Nonfiction. I recall the review talking about the size of some of the whales. I read the review in the last two years and I think they only review newly published books so it's probably not a very old book. Can't remember which magazine it was.

The other is an older book -- but probably not older than 1985. I found it in a used bookstore in Bermuda and read half a chapter there but for some reason didn't buy it. It was about a guy (or maybe a couple, or a family?) that did a lot of cruising -- possibly circumnavigating. I do specifically recall that the boat was made of ferro-cement, and the little part I read was about how many people think ferro is garbage but this particular boat was dropped by a wave onto a submerged steel pole and just bounced right off and he thought that properly-done, ferro was possibly the best option for blue water. I think the cover art had a lot of blue on it. (as if that narrows it down...)

Any help? If I had a title and could look it up on Amazon I'd probably be able to recognize it. Thanks!

S/V Waitara
Venture 21
PA Freshwater / Chesapeake
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook