SailNet Community - View Single Post - Running the outboard out of the water for 30 seconds
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2010
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Running the outboard out of the water for 30 seconds

Does anyone know if it's ok to run an outboard engine out of the water? I'm talking for 30 seconds just to "turn over" the gas in the carburator to help prevent it turning into shallack. Also to put oil back on the cylinder walls.

The engine is a 20hp Tohatsu that's hanging off the stern of our boat. It's about 30 degrees here. I figure it will take some time for the internal engine parts to get hot.

Gratuitous winter picture of the outboard

Plan B is to lift it off the pushpit and let it hang into the water off one of the davits. At 117 pounds, it's not something I like to do too often if I can avoid it.

Plan C is to get the ear-muff looking device to clamp on the water intake and run the engine for longer periods of time. It's not easy to find flowing water here though. I'd probably hook it up to our washdown pump when the temp get's above 32.

After last winter, when it was run completely out of fuel and stored in our warm furnace room, it took the whole summer to run right again. I'm looking to avoid that by running it periodically throughout the winter.

So will it hurt the engine to run it for 30 seconds without water???

Regards,
Brad
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook