SailNet Community - View Single Post - Island Packet 35
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2010

SouthernBreeze17 is on a distinguished road
Island Packet 35

I am considering purchasing a IP 35, and have one question: Just how Slow is an IP 35?

I hear and read alot about how slow the IPs are in light wind. My wife just said: ALL sailboats are slow, so what?

The IP 35 seems to have the accomodations we are looking for in a cruising boat, and from what I read it performs quite well in 15 to 25+ knots of wind.

Other than the occaisional thunderstorm in the summer, we don't have sustained winds at that level on the west coast of FL very often. So I am concerned that at 5-10 knots of winds, we could be purchasing a slow power boat (might as well buy a trawler! and not have to worry about shoals or bridge clearance).

So for any of you with experience sailing an IP 35, what kind of boat speed could we expect with 10 knots of wind close hauled, or beam reach, or broad reaching? We're not interested in racing and really don't care when we get to our cruising destination, but we would like to be able to make the boat move in 5 to 10 knots of wind.

I'd like to be able to buy a boat that should be able to get at least 3 knots on most points of sail in a light (5-10 knot) wind condition.

Thanks
SouthernBreeze
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook