SailNet Community - View Single Post - Crew Blues
Thread: Crew Blues
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2006

catamount is on a distinguished road
Communicating Clear Expectations

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADG
Catamount seems to have a good "filtering" process, I'm not sure there is a stone that's been left un-turned with that questionnaire.
I should add that I gave prospective crew my questionaire only after I had already screened applicants on the basis of their enthusiasm for the trip and their potential to compliment the other crew that I already had signed on (and with whom I was already very familiar). Prior experience with offshore sailing was not really a criterion for these positions on the crew, but at least some experience day sailing or coastal cruising was a pre-requisite.

In the weeks leading up to our departure, I kept the entire crew (and their spouses) well informed about (and involved in) the planning and preparation for the voyage with regular e-mails. I wanted to make sure everyone knew what they were getting themselves into, what would be expected of them, and in turn what they could expect of me.

It all worked out very well. We had six guys ranging in age from 23 to 74, sailing a cramped leaky 34-footer from the mid-atlantic up to new england, offshore through a gale and other trials and tribulations, and we were all still smiling at the end of it. Of course, our trip was only a week long -- not 25 days!

Regards,

Tim
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook